Ranger Headquarters

Ranger Headquarters
Big Pine National Forest, Knotty Pine

Sunday, March 29, 2009

How Many Search-And-Rescue Missions?

Just how many search and rescue missions were performed in 2007 in the US national parks? Most of you guessed 2240. Close but not right. The correct answer is that 3593 total search and rescue mission were performed. If most of the visitor traffic to America's national parks occurs during the middle six months of the year, then an average of roughly 600 rescues per month were performed by park rangers and various rescue units!!! That's about 20 rescues each and every day of the warmer months of the year.
And congratulations to those of you who picked the correct answer. I know I would have guessed lower until I saw the numbers with my own eyes.
My hat is off to our brave and faithful rangers who guard and protect the national parks and their millions of visitors each and every year! God bless your hard work park rangers!!!

No comments: