Ranger Headquarters

Ranger Headquarters
Big Pine National Forest, Knotty Pine

Saturday, July 8, 2023

How Many RANGER BILL Episodes?

Nearly 18 years ago, the small business where I worked closed. While I was between jobs, I discovered RANGER BILL was still being aired on the Internet. That first episode I heard was "Houseboat Charlie" there at Misery Crossing. I was hooked! I started the RANGER BILL fan club right away without much computer training. Over the years I have had several computer crashes, and lost several files, and still work with a less than perfect memory. (Is this the way to run a hobby?!!!)

Recently a RANGER BILL fan reminded me of a few blogs I wrote several years back that I had forgotten about.  

I used this blog title back in 2008 when I had to move my blog from Geocities (no long online) here to Blogger. In those days a friend told me that there were at lest 370 known RANGER BILL scripts. This friend showed me the scripts from the stories "Bim, the Dog" and "Pendleton Valley Fire".  I have since lost the Bim script.

This is what I wrote in 2008:

The program labeled RB009 is actually “Bim the Dog” (program #104) instead of “Ben the Dog”. I caught this reading the script. I am now updating the spreadsheet with the original program numbers and dates when available. By the way, Ranger Bill ran with the quarter-hour format starting with program #1 which aired on Monday afternoon October 2, 1950 at 4:45pm up through program #103 that was recorded on September 22, 1952 and was aired the following Monday afternoon, September 29, 1952 at 4:45pm. Ranger Bill #104 was the first program to air in the new half-hour format with a new airing date on Saturday afternoon. The first half-hour length Ranger Bill program (#104) was recorded on Wednesday, October 1, 1952 at 6:15pm and aired three days later on Saturday, October 3 at 12:30pm.'

I had originally guessed that there were originally 382 RB scripts based on the information back then. From what I know today, there are about 103 15-minute scripts. We have 229 known 30-minute episodes. That makes 332 episodes. We had about 370 known scripts about 15 years ago. So there may be about 38 or so as yet unknown episode titles in the 15-minute and 30-minute shows.

Life has changed drastically over the years. We may never get to see those scripts or even the story titles. But this is my best guess with the information I know in 2023. 

God's blessings to you all!!!

No comments: