Strange Find at Ranger Headquarters
A strange and unusual discovery was made today at Ranger Headquarters at Big Pine National Forest. Chief Ranger Bill Jefferson reports that his ward Henry Scott found some old boxes and a shovel while cleaning out the back room at Ranger Headquarters. Stumpy Jenkins identified the boxes as belonging Big Pine's first chief ranger and dating from the Great Depression. The shovel was next to the boxes and covered with dust. When Henry cleaned up the shovel he found the shovel blade was hand painted with the phrase "Property of the 3C Boys."
Ranger Bill and Stumpy Jenkins looked through contents of the boxes. The rangers found documents and reports concerning the creation of Big Pine and the construction of other major landmarks in and around the national forest. The documents also indicate that Ranger Bill's own home is historically connected to Big Pine. Henry Scott has gone to the Jefferson home to look for anything that may shed further light on this historical mystery.
Ranger Rocky McGuire tells the GAZETTE that President Roosevelt set up public works programs during the Great Depression to put men back to work. The shovel is probably connected to the Civilian Conservation Corps, or CCC, which employed millions of young men from 1933 to 1942 planting trees, creating parks, constructing public buildings, and more. The young men working in the CCC were known as 3C Boys.